Monday 7 January 2008

Why Do I Need A Bait Bag?

Many anglers don't understand the importance of having a bait bag for carrying their live worms while fishing, so I'm going to try to explain why a bait bag is such a valuable tool. First of all a bait bag is really only relevant if you fish with live worms. Sure, any bait can be held in a bait bag, but it was specifically designed for carrying live worms while fishing, and works best for doing just that. Let me ask you a question. How do you normally carry your live worms with you while fishing? You buy a container of worms and carry it with you somehow, right? Normally the worm container gets put into your fishing vest or tackle box and that's the end of it. But what about those of you who like to move from spot to spot while fishing?If you're anything like me, moving up and downstream while fishing is normal. As a matter of fact, it's not uncommon for me to cover 2-5 miles in a single fishing trip, moving either up or downstream the entire time. This is the way I have always fished and enjoy it very much. The problem used to be that keeping track of my live worm container was a pain in the butt. It always ended up crushed and remembering which pocket I had stuffed it in when I needed to bait up always resulted in me checking 2 or 3 pockets every ten minutes or so. Then my fishing mentor came up with an ingenious solution.At the time, he didn't have a name for it, but it was a small bag that hung off of his fishing vest and carried his live worms while he was fishing. This may sound strange, and the first time that I saw it I thought it looked strange as well. Then I tried one for myself. It was incredible! It was such a simple idea, but so effective. That was more than twenty years ago, and since then I've never fished with live worms without using some manifestation of a bait bag for carrying them.From these humble beginnings the Bait Bag was born. Now, whether you fashion one yourself or buy one "ready to fish" makes little difference. What's important is that you begin using some version of a bait bag sooner, rather than later. If you spend any time at all fishing with live worms a bait bag will become one of your favorite pieces of fishing gear. I know I won't even think about going fishing without mine.

0 comments: